Suggestions, Comments and Complaints

Making a Suggestion, Comment or Complaint

If you are unhappy with any aspect of the services we provide and would like to bring it to our attention, there are several ways that you may do this:

1.Raising Your Concerns
Speak to a member of staff who may be able to provide you with a solution or answer straightaway. If you are unhappy with the help you are given, then the deputy manager or the practice manager will be happy to help you. We have a suggestion box where you may place your comments and suggestions. We empty this on a regular basis and try to accommodate all suggestions where practical.


If you have a complaint or concern about the service or staff within this Practice, please let us know.  We operate a practice complaints procedure as part of the NHS system for dealing with complaints.  Our complaints system meets national criteria.


We hope that most problems can be sorted out easily and quickly, often at the time they arise and with the person concerned.  If your problem cannot be sorted out in this way and you wish to make a complaint, we would like you to let us know as soon as possible – ideally within a matter of a few days or at most a few weeks – because this will enable us to establish what happened more easily.  If it is not possible to do that, please let us have the details of your complaint:

  • Within 12 months of the incident that caused the problem, or
  • Within 12 months of discovering you have a problem

Complaints should be addressed to:  Mrs Jane Lincoln, Practice Manager, Whinfield Medical Practice , Whinbush Way Darlington, DL1 3RT.  Alternatively, you could telephone and ask for an appointment to be made with  Mrs Lincoln to discuss your concerns, or request to  speak to her  at the time of the incident.


Upon receiving your complaint, either verbally or in writing, we will acknowledge receipt of the complaint.  This will be within three working days.  We aim to have a full reply to you with any findings and explanation as soon as is possible.  When looking into complaints we will aim to:

  • Find out what happened and what went wrong
  • Make it possible for you to discuss the problem with those concerned, if you would like this
  • Make sure you receive an apology, where this is appropriate
  • Identify what we can do to ensure the problem does not happen again


Please note that due to strict medical confidentiality we are unable to make any comments regarding any events that happen to anyone other than yourself.  Should you need to make a complaint on behalf of a friend or relative, we will require their written permission before any investigation. You may wish to contact Darlington Healthwatch to discuss any issues. This is a free and confidential service which aims to advice and support families and provide information on NHS services. They can also listen to any conerns patients may have and can sort our problems on behalf of patients they can be contacted on:01325 380145 


We hope that if you have a problem you will use our practice complaints procedure.  We believe this will give us the chance of correcting whatever has gone wrong.  However, if you are not happy with the response you have had or feel you cannot use our procedure; you may contact NHS County Durham:

PO Box 16738



B97  9PT

Tel:0300 3112233

Or if following a response to your complaint, you do not feel the issue(s) have been resolved satisfactorily; you may contact the Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP.  Tel: 0345 015 4033

Email: [email protected]


Click here to download our Practice Complaints Leaflet.

Click here to download “How do I give feedback or make a complaint about an NHS service